Monday, April 14, 2008

Stewards Retreat

Over the weekend of April 5th and 6th, I, along with the other stewards, went on a "bonding" retreat to Camp Cosby right outside of Pell City.  I have been to camp since I was in the 2nd grade, and I am working at that camp this summer, but I still wasn't sure what to expect because my first Alabama camp experience on pledge retreat wasn't so pleasant.  The camp ended up being somewhere in between my home camp and the horrible pledge retreat camp.  We were on a lake and were able to do a vertical apparatice, go spulunking, and rock climb.  I had so much fun because even though I don't look like it, I love the outdoors.  The vertical apparatice was just your typical ropes stuff, and rock climbing is also pretty much self explainitory. But spulunking was something completely new for me.  We put on our coveralls and climbed down into a cave.  Ya thats right, I said DOWN.  I managed to get myself stuck almost immediately but was able to get myself out of that situation rather quickly.  The experience was rather fun until the intructors told us not to touch the BATS.  I was not ok with bats.  Even though there were tiny and hibernating, I didn't like them.  When we returned to camp Saturday night we had planned to have a camp fire and make smores :), but it had rained just a day before hand and the wood was wet.  The guys said that it would be impossible to make a camp fire with wet wood, but the girls were determined.  I dried kindling with my hair dryer, and after much trying, we were able to make our fire.  So much for boys telling us that it couldn't be done.  Overall the weekend was a lot of fun, and I was able to get to know the other stewards better.

1 comment:

Evan said...

thats pretty cool I'd like to do some cave exploring some time...